Sunday, March 12, 2017

7 Powerful Prayers From the Bible You Should Know



There's great power in scripture, just as there was when they were first uttered, and it's well worth our mental space to memorize and pray them on a regular basis.


Here are seven powerful prayers from the Bible to incorporate into your time with God. (Bible verses are ESV & NIV translation.)

1. EXODUS 33:13 – MOSES ASKS FOR GOD'S FAVOR

"Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight." ESV

After God nearly destroyed the Israelites for worshiping the golden calf, Moses talks with God about his position of leadership. He seeks to confirm his favor in God's sight, a treasure for any believer.

2. PHILIPPIANS 1:9–11 – PAUL PRAYS FOR BELIEVERS

"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God." ESV

This is a beautiful guide for when praying for other believers, that "their love may abound more and more" and the rest.


3. 2 KINGS 19: 14-19- HEZEHIAH'S PETITIONS FOR DELIVERANCE AND HEALING

''14 Hezekiah received the letter from the messengers and read it. Then he went up to the temple of the Lord and spread it out before the Lord.15 And Hezekiah prayed to the Lord: “Lord, the God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth. 16 Give ear, Lord, and hear;open your eyes, Lord, and see; listen to the words Sennacherib has sent to ridicule the living God. It is true, Lord, that the Assyrian kings have laid waste these nations and their lands. 18 They have thrown their gods into the fire and destroyed them, for they were not gods but only wood and stone, fashioned by human hands. 19 Now, Lord our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone, Lord, are God.” NIV

Here's a godly king about to see his nation conquered and destroyed by the mighty Assyrian army. Then he hears from a prophet that he should prepare to die soon. So, how does he pray? In defeat? No. Trusting in his Almighty Father.


4. NEHEMIAH 1;1-2:9- NEHEMIAH'S PRAYER FOR SUCCESS

''The words of Nehemiah son of Hakaliah: In the month of Kislev in the twentieth year, while I was in the citadel of Susa, 2 Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that had survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem. 3 They said to me, “Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.”4 When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven. 5 Then I said:“Lord, the God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments, 6 let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hearthe prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father’s family, have committed against you.7 We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses. 8 “Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, 9 but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name'' NIV

Nehemiah hears of the suffering of the returned exiles. After grieving in fasting and prayer, he prays for success -- and commits himself to God's will for his life.

5. PSALMS 51:1–8 – DAVID PRAYS FOR GUIDANCE

"O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.
For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil may not dwell with you.
The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
you hate all evildoers.
You destroy those who speak lies;
the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
will enter your house.
I will bow down toward your holy temple
in the fear of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies;
make your way straight before me."ESV

This may take some work to memorize, but it's a power-packed prayer that proclaims how God's character, holiness and righteousness pave a straight path for us.

6. JONAH 2:2–9 – JONAH PRAYS THANKSGIVING AND COMMITMENT

"When my life was fainting away,
I remembered the Lord,
and my prayer came to you,
into your holy temple.
Those who pay regard to vain idols
forsake their hope of steadfast love.
But I with the voice of thanksgiving
will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay.
Salvation belongs to the Lord!"ESV

Jonah remembers God's saving love and confirms his commitment to serve Him.

7. MATTHEW 6:9–13 – JESUS TEACHES HOW TO PRAY

"Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil."ESV

Obvious! you say. Everyone knows this!

Pray without ceasing

8 comments:

  1. Been a while I came here!. Thanks. I love the No 7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Mr. Patrick! We love you.

      Stay blessed

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Very well favour. Thanks for stopping by.

      We love you

      Delete
  3. its been awhile visited your blog. that was a nice work

    also check at http://anonegodsleadinglady.blogspot.com.ng/2017/03/hidden-truths-about-man.html

    or http://anonegodsleadinglady.blogspot.com.ng/2017/03/greatness-and-wealth.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kolawole. Welcome back

      We love you.

      Delete
  4. too good. also trending at http://anonegodsleadinglady.blogspot.com.ng/2017/03/essence-of-gratitude.html

    ReplyDelete

We love comments. Please don't leave without giving us one.